International Delegates

World Indigenous Peoples Conference on Education 2022


Under Australia’s universal visa system, all visitors to Australia must have a valid visa to travel to and enter Australia (other than New Zealand passport holders who will normally be granted a Special Category visa on arrival, provided they meet health and character requirements; and permanent residents of Norfolk Island who may be granted a Permanent Resident of Norfolk Island visa on arrival).

For further information about the correct visa to apply for – click here.

For further information about visa requirements before you lodge your visa application – click here.

The Department of Immigration recommend that participants apply for their visa well in advance of their intended date of travel to Australia. All visitors should apply for a visa at least two months prior to their intended date of departure, and four months prior for people with character or health concerns.

Banking, Currency, Taxes & Tipping

Banks are open Monday to Friday from 9.30am – 4.00pm (5.00pm on Friday).

Goods and Services Tax (GST) of 10% is applicable in Australia. Tipping is uncommon and unexpected in Australia. It is only offered after exceptional services and may be between 5% and 10% of the total bill.

Changing Money

International airports and major hotels provide money-changing facilities. Banks are generally open from Monday to Friday from 9:30am – 4:00pm. Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) are widely available.

The Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS)

International travelers can claim a refund of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) paid on goods bought in Australia. The refund only applies to goods taken as hand luggage upon departure. The refund will be paid on goods costing A$300 or more, bought from the same store. For details visit


All prices quoted are in Australian Dollars (AUD) and include GST.

Credit Cards

Major credit cards, particularly VISA and Mastercard, are widely accepted.


Delegates carrying commercial goods or samples may need to obtain permits for their goods depending on the nature of the goods, regardless of value. Quarantine and wildlife regulations and other restrictions may also apply to certain goods. All travelers must declare amounts of $10,000 or more in foreign or Australian currency (notes and coins) you take into or out of Australia. For more information visit


Australian electricity supply is 240V, 50Hz. The connection for appliances is a flat 3-pin plud. Most city hotels provide 110 volts for shavers.


English is the official language of the Conference.

Emergency Phone Numbers

In the case of an emergency, call triple zero (000) for ambulance, fire or police assistance throughout Australia. If calling from a mobile, you may call 112.